Pages

Thursday, December 20

Penelope's Birth Story


For the last couple of weeks my doctor had asked me several times about being induced. I was very hesitant since I had never done it before and had always gone into labor on my own. Also, my absolute favorite part about pregnancy is the suspense of not knowing when labor will start and just the excitement of it all and I really didn't want to jib myself of that. So I declined, but last week Dr. Shipman's nurse called to let me know that she would be going out of town before my due date and wouldn't be back until after the first of the year. She had already scheduled my induction date just to lock me in but said I could cancel at anytime. I was feeling so torn. I love my doctor and really wanted her to deliver my baby...but on the other hand I really didn't want to be induced and I was feeling the pressure. Not to mention, I really didn't want a Christmas baby and my wonderful friend Sara had offered to take my girls and was leaving town on the 20th...so I knew I needed to have my baby soon. I prayed about my decision and both Brandt and I felt really good about it. I literally tried EVERYTHING, other than castor oil to get Penelope here. I bought clary sage essential oil, walked over 4 miles while pushing the girls, ran stairs....you name it, I tried it! And nothing worked. I was only dilated to a 1 and maybe 50-60% effaced and very sore!
Monday rolled around and I had been having a lot of pain and some contractions, but nothing regular. I was feeling discouraged but ready to have my baby girl here. It was SO weird going to the hospital and not being in labor, but knowing I wasn't going to leave without my baby! In a way it was kind of nice because I was able to shower, do my hair, my girls were taken care of, and my bags were packed.
I got up to my room and fell in love with my nurse! She was amazing. She checked me and after all the hard work, contractions, and pain I hadn't progressed at all! Ugh! the only good news was that my cervix was very anterior and baby was engaged and low! Which explained all the pain I had been having. She hooked me up to the monitors and I was having contractions, but still nothing regular, and at midnight she placed the cervidil. We were both positive that this would start me into active labor and I would have my baby before we knew it. Unfortunately that did not happen. I tried to sleep but was too anxious and my contractions were getting harder...still nothing regular though. At 7:00am I met my new nurse, Carla. Best.nurse.ever. She did more for me than any other nurse I have ever had. Anyway, she checked me and I still hadn't dilated but I was 80% effaced and the baby was even lower and my contractions were now 5-7 mins apart. Finally active labor and on my own with no pitocin! She immediately started my antibiotics and we got the first dose in in no time! At about 9am my doctor came in to see me and check me. I was only dilated to a 2 at this point...which was pretty disappointing because my contractions were coming every 3 minutes so I thought for sure I would be further along. I was sure this labor was going to take forever. But while she was checking me my water broke. Shortly after my contractions started coming every 1-2 minutes and were very hard. Carla called for the epidural and even fought another nurse to get me in before another patient! Within 30 minutes I had my epidural and it slowly started kicking in and I was feeling good! I was now dilated to a 3-4.
I could still faintly feel my contractions, which I was okay with, I still wanted a little bit of control...just not all the pain. My labor slowed down a bit after the epidural so Carla decided to put me on a slow pit drop to keep things going. About an hour later my contractions started coming really fast and really hard....and I could feel everything! I started throwing up- which I have never done in labor before. I was getting worried that something was wrong and Penelope's heart rate was dropping with each contraction. Carla was sure that it was time to have this baby but when she checked me I was only a 5 and 100% effaced. So she had me press the epidural button for more medicine...but it never kicked in. The contractions only got worse. I was pretty mad. I had not prepared for this. I was excited not to feel any pain and just have a relaxing labor. With each contraction I could feel her moving further down and holy cow did it hurt, especially because I was not in the state of mind to deal with the pain. I was so worried that I was going to feel her coming out when it was time to push and I did not want to do that again. Carla was getting ready to grab the anesthetist but when she checked me baby was coming! So instead she called my doctor over. And with only 3 pushes she was here! It was amazing! I didn't tear at all and there was hardly any swelling. She was so beautiful and I instantly thought she looked like Peyton. As soon as they put her on my belly she started peeing all over. When they weighed her she was 7lbs 2oz 20 inches long and Brandt and I just started laughing because if she hadn't peed she probably would have weighed 7.3, just like Peyton and Paisley.

She is so perfect and we are already so in love with her. We finally got to bring her home this morning and of course we have a snow storm and Peyton gets the stomach flu at 3am. So needless to say it has been a busy day. I am so grateful for Brandt. He has been running all day to take care of all his girls and it has been a huge blessing having him home. I couldn't ask for anything more and am so full of love and gratitude for all the blessings I have in my life. Also, I have to mention my amazing friends and ward members who have gone above and beyond to make this experience so wonderful. I had so many visitors come see me in the hospital and so many people lining up to bring meals and help take care of my girls. My friend Sara Loveridge took my girls all day Tuesday and half of Wednesday and spoiled them rotten. They sure do love her and so do I! She was such a lifesaver! Just knowing that they were taken care of and not having to worry about them while I was in the hospital was a huge relief. Anyway, I am so blessed!






Penelope Adeline Howard
Born December 18th at 1 p.m.
7lbs 2oz. 20 inches long
13 3/4 head circ


8 comments:

Abby said...

What a great story! She is such a gorgeous baby!! I am so happy for you! Christian's birthday is tomorrow and I am feeling so sentimental about his birth last year because it was such a great experience. This will be a special Christmas for you!! :)

deargoodness said...

She is beautiful! Thanks for sharing your story, it is very personal--but I have been checking your blog since you had sweet Penny to hear it! Congratulations!

Hi, I'm Katelyn! said...

Penelope is beautiful and so are you! Brandt is so lucky to have such beautiful girls in his life! I'm glad everything worked out and sweet Penelope got here safely. We are so happy for you guys, you sure do make gorgeous little babies!!!! Love you!!

Unknown said...

I love you, 'Nette! Thanks for sharing your story - it makes me feel like I'm not missing so many things out here in the middle of nowhere. Hold her close for me!

Kaylee said...

Oh my goodness she is so beautiful!! I absolutely love those pictures and love that you have recorded every important detail. I sure wish I was close to help you out, but I'm glad for your good friends who are there. You are such a beautiful mommy--the adjustment to 3 is a killer, but hang in there!

Brooke & Skyler said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful. So fun reading your story. Enjoy every second of her!!

Brit Bennion said...

Yea! I love your birth stories! I'm so glad that Penelope is here and you are both safe. She is so beautiful!! I can't wait to meet her!

-Danica- said...

She is so beautiful - Congrats! I loved reading this!