Pages

Tuesday, April 5

Inspired!

First off, can I just say how much I *loved* conference this weekend...WOW. I didn't want it to end. I could listen to conference all day every day. I even found myself jealous that Brandt got to go to priesthood...because I wanted to come listen too! Anyways, I just wanted to write down a few of my thoughts.
*If someone were to find my purse...what kind of a person would they think I was and would they want to meet me? I seriously loved that she carried around 5 favorite scriptures. How great is that? Whenever you need to be uplifted or need a quick quote just reach into your purse and there you have it. I am definitely going to do that.
*Sometimes I can become VERY overwhelmed when listening to conference when I think about all of the things that I am not doing...like service and temple work, for example. However, while I was sitting there thinking how horrible I am and how I need to be so much better, a small thought popped into my head, "But you are doing service. You do the Lord's greatest work every single day by serving and taking care of his children." It made me think of the scripture
Ecclesiastes 3:1
To everything there is a season,
a time for every purpose under the sun.
Right now my main purpose is to be a mother and while my children are young I may not have as much time as I would like to do as much service or temple work as I would like, but I am trying my best and giving my all and I think that is what matters most. I felt like instead of trying to do bigger service projects I could focus on the small acts of kindness.
*I love this quote by President Eyring, "Miracle of sympathy turned to unselfish act" I love that I am sympathetic of others rather than judging. I hope to never lose that quality.
*"Preach the gospel at all times and if necessary use words."...nuff said right there.
*Paul V. Johnson spoke a lot about trials and tribulations and I loved when he said that the challenges of labor proceed the miracles of birth. I think that giving birth and the whole labor process is such a sacred moment and I cry every single time I think about it. It really is a miracle.
This whole dental school process has definitely been challenging to say the least. Both Brandt and I were talking last night about how not one thing has come easily. Even finding a place to live has been a challenge. Brandt turned to me and said, "Why does everything have to be so hard? Can't one thing be simple with this process?" And immediantly I was reminded of this, "Don't resent the trials that help us put on the divine nature." I am grateful that it hasn't been easy. I love a good challenge and it's all about how we handle ourselves that make us who we are and better for it.
*H. David Burton emphasized, "Be kind to the poor" I think this is a very important thing to remember and do. Jesus spent his life doing this and we should learn from his example. This reminded me of my Dad.
*I completely LOVED Richard G. Scott's entire talk. What a cutie. Marriage is definitely wonderful and rewarding and I know that it has given me plenty of opportunities to overcome tendencies of selfishness. Also, I think with children, for Brandt and I anyways, that sometimes we forget the small and simple things in our marriage. Like telling each other that we love each other and appreciate each other. With the busy day and rarely seeing each other it is so important to do those things to keep a marriage alive.

I could write more, but those were just some of my thoughts. I really loved every talk and cant wait for the May Ensign to come out!!

3 comments:

deargoodness said...

conference was amazing, what a boost! I hope you can find an apartment soon, nothing is so stressful as not having a place to live!

-Danica- said...

thank you for this! i missed a lot of this conference and have been waiting to read them. the part where you said we are serving by being mom's really hit me. thanks!

Hi, I'm Katelyn! said...

Conference was sooooooooo good!!!! It seemed like every talk was directed especially towards me. I've definately learned a lot of new things that I need to work hard on. You're such a great mom though!! Good luck with the apartment, I never heard if you got it or not??? I can't wait until you move and unpack and post pictures of your cute place! Just think, only 1.5 months left!!!