Pages

Wednesday, February 22

One of Those Kind of Days

Today has just been one of those days. When I woke up this morning I could hear Paisley screaming, but not on the monitor. I jumped out of bed and found Peyton completely butt naked in the living room, just playing around. She ran up to me and gave me a big hug and followed me into her bedroom. Immediately I noticed drops of water all over the floor next to her bed and little toilet. *Side-note:Peyton has a bathroom in her room but recently she hasn't been making it to the toilet in the morning in time and she will pee on the floor in the bathroom; so I decided to put her little potty next to her bed at night so she wouldn't have that accident anymore. Anyways, as I got closer to examine the little drops of water, hoping that it wasn't what I thought it was, I discover that she has been playing with her pee. I was mad. She had used the cups from her diner and a plate and was transferring the pee from her potty to her bed. It was everywhere. All over the floor, all over the cups and plate, and all over her bed. Next, I went to check the monitor to see what happened...Peyton had turned it off. At this point Paisley was still screaming so I grabbed her from the crib and noticed that she wouldn't wrap her legs around my hips. Instead she was keeping them really stiff and straight so I immediately thought that she had a diaper rash. I hurried to change her and saw that her diaper was on way too tight and had completely rubbed the skin off of her leg and she was bleeding and swollen on her thigh. It was awful. After I got everything cleaned up I gave the girls a bowl of cereal for breakfast. Paisley didn't want to be put down so I was holding her while she ate and Peyton runs up and just randomly hits the bottom of Paisley's bowl, making her cereal fly everywhere...and did I mention that I had just vacuumed under the couch cushions the day before. Wonderful :) After breakfast while the girls were taking their baths Peyton poured a bucket of water out of the tub all over the floor. Then, while they were eating their snacks I ran to use the bathroom. I was gone less than a minute and when I came back out Peyton was standing on top of the table pulling the flowers off of my wreath. At that point I was done and lost it. I just started yelling, "Why?! Why would you do that?!" And in her sweetest most innocent voice ever, "Mommy, I just wanted to smell the flowers." Seriously, how can you be mad at that?!
Needless to say, this morning was rough and I was so ready for nap time. Peyton is at the stage where she is very independent and wants to do everything for herself. She is becoming defiant and pushing every limit. It is weird to have her actually talk back to me and tell me no...but I love her and I am grateful for her strong willed spirit and the challenges it brings. And I know that I totally deserve this and had it coming. Paisley is at the stage where she cant communicate what she wants so we have a lot of crying and screaming. Actually, more like squealing. It is really annoying but kind of cute. Just kind of though. Mornings like these I just have to remind myself that I can do hard things and this will only be for a short time. I will take a million bad mornings just to have those special moments that make it all worth it!

8 comments:

Abby said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Abby said...

Oh my goodness, this post was too close to home. I have had SO MANY days like this! Especially since having this third baby. It's feels like something is going wrong literally every 5 seconds!! Ugh, I get super frazzled sometimes. And I know a little something about strong-willed kids, too. Lilimae is SO strong willed. Apparently so was I when I was little. It is so hard when she just won't listen or do what I say and she looks at me straight-faced and says "No" or "I don't want to" and then I get flustered because I know I'm supposed to be the one in control but I have absolutely no idea how to make her do what I want her to do, at least not without yelling or being mean, because she STILL won't listen even when I give her a consequence!! {Wow that was a long sentence.} Or a time-out threat! Or taking a toy away! Goodness...

Thanks for the reminder that these days are normal and just come with having kids. And that we still love our kids regardless! I should post more about my days like this. :)

Hi, I'm Katelyn! said...

Oh man! hahaha!!!!! Those little girls were sent to YOU for a reason!!!! :)

deargoodness said...

well, at least urine is sterile! I'm sorry today was so hard! I didn't even try today-I was babysitting two extra kids so pretty much I left cartoons on all day and just tried to keep up with all the messes. Peyton and George sound so alike! It is true though how when they do something so naughty and then they say or do something so adorable/sweet right after that you can't hardly be mad at all. So frustrating at times! Hang in there, you're right-it is all worth it. and when they are in bed and you look back at the day it really isn't so bad, it is pretty hilarious actually.

Unknown said...

Hey, Jeannette~

Just so you know, I love you!

Thanks for keeping it real - your girls are gonna LOVE reading this one day :D

Here's hoping for a better one tomorrow!

Bethany Sines said...

oh my gosh, I am so so so so sorry that this day even existed. haha. It stresses me out just reading it, so i can't even imagine how you must have felt. I admire you for keeping your cool all the way till the wreath incident. I would have flipped out way back at the cereal bowl thing. ugh.
how come you said though that you deserved something like this and that you had it coming? : )

Kaylee said...

Ugh! This sounds like our house just about EVERY morning! Hang in there--you can do it!

-Danica- said...

Oh gosh, I am tired just reading this haha. I'm amazed at how you do it with two because miss Hadi is quite the strong-willed little girl. I am scared for her to get to peyton's age! Also, sign language has REALLY helped with Hadi being able to communicate what she wants. We usually never have a time when we cant tell what she is wanting (which isn't always a good thing because she tells us it over and over until we get it lol) and so it's made it easier on me. Have you guys tried Signing Time? Hadley LOVES the DVD's and she has learned a lot from those alone. And my nieces love watching them too so I bet Peyton would watch them with Paisley