Brandt has decided that this is now our new nickname, "The Bawling Howards". Why you might ask? Well here is the story.
Yesterday we got invited to go to dinner after church on Sunday. I was really excited because that meant I wouldn't have to cook Sunday dinner, but Brandt was worried because he has several tests coming up that he needed to study for and he knew this was just going to take time out of his busy schedule. So I persuaded him to agree if we could go home after Sacrament to give him some time to study. Saturday night Peyton came down with a fever, but Sunday morning it was gone and she was acting normal so we headed off to church. After sacrament got over Peyton was pretty upset that she couldn't go to nursery, so I decided, what the heck, I'll just stay and Brandt could come pick us up after church was over. Peyton went off to nursery, Paisley and I roamed the halls as I tried to get her to fall asleep, and Brandt went home to study. About 30 minutes into Sunday School I was kicking myself for not going home. Paisley was a mess and wouldn't stop crying. She didn't want to be held, but she didn't want to be put down either. As I was struggling with her, going up and down,making sure my slip wasn't showing or that I didn't trip over my heels, one of the nursery workers comes out with Peyton, who was also crying and sick with a fever again. She started asking where Brandt was and when I told her that he wasn't there she said, okay let me help you get them out to your car....I just started crying. Here I was stranded, stressed out, holding two crying babies with no idea what to do and no phone to call Brandt, and I just couldn't hold the tears in. I felt SO stupid. And I still feel so stupid. I should have been the mom and gotten the situation under control, but instead I started crying with my girls. There were probably about 5 other moms in the halls and I heard several of them say, "Girl, we have totally been there before!" Everyone swooped in to help and luckily someone was able to give me a ride home. I am just grateful for the support system that other mom's can give because we have all been there before. I want to never forget this experience because I want to be that mom in the future that helps another mommy in need.

3 comments:
Awe, im sooooo glad someone was there to help you out! And dont feel stupid, like you said we've all been there before. When ethan got his stitches and we were all in the ER he was crying so bad and i passed out and had to sit in another room. I felt terrible bc i couldnt be there for my baby. :( you're an amazing momma!!!! I cant wait to see you!
My favorite Momma in distress moment has to be when I was in Target and B was just done. A lady came behind me with a cherry slushy and a fresh bag of popcorn and said, "You're doing good, Momma."
That's the Mom that I want to be someday.
I'm grateful those other moms stepped in, too. I feel like as a parent, mom or dad, you have much more empathy on whoever's having the breakdown. Joe said that the other day he saw a woman at the airport with two young kids and her flights were all messed up and she was crying and trying to talk to someone about it and the kids were running around screaming. Joe said he felt so bad for her and (I was so proud of him when he told me this) instead of just feeling bad and sending her good he thoughts he sat down next to the kids and showed them pics and videos on his phone of Jack. He told them the woman that he had a kid too and that he'd love to help. He hesitated to do anything at first cause he's a guy and that would be creepy, but in the end they were all glad that he helped. I'm so grateful for people who help.
Post a Comment