Pages

Thursday, April 29

Food Storage Anyone?!

Last Friday night my friend Ashley convinced me to go to this food storage lecture. I didn't really want to go because I am always saying, "I have no room for food storage." or "If anything happens I'll just go live with my parents and eat theirs." or "I just really do not know how to do it or want to think about doing it." So I went...and I LOVED IT! I am a food storage nerd now. :) I already know exactly what I want for Mother's Day- a food saver!! Here are some things that I learned that I think everyone should know. Food storage doesn't have to be boring. When I do my years supply(which btw, we have been told over and over again that we need to do this and still 80% of the church members dont...why?) When I have my food storage I am going to actually plan for meals- with real meat! Chicken, Roast, Salmon! Spaghetti, Pancakes, real eggs, Enchiladas! BTW- you can store eggs for one year by rubbing a thin layer of mineral oil over the egg and they will keep. You dont even need to refrigerate them. Every week for a whole year I am going to have meals planned. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner. With homemade bread and every Sunday I am going to plan to make a dessert. Apple pie, brownies, cookies! I know that when we need our food storage I will probably be getting fat because we are going to be eating good! We are also investing in a solar oven so that I can bake things- even in the winter just as long as there is sun! Anyways, I just learned how to can meat, and pretty much anything and it was really helpful. It actually gave me something to look forward to and made me excited to do my food storage. So now when I need to rotate things out I will actually have meals that are basically ready to go and it will make my life a whole lot easier. So if anyone is interested comment and I will send you the speaker's( Wendy DeWitt) email and you can email her for a booklet that she wrote. It is completely free- you just have to print it out and it tells you how to shop, store things, and gives all of her great tips and advice!

5 comments:

Hi, I'm Katelyn! said...

I fulllllllly believe in Food Storage! Especially now, in the stage were in, in life and can afford to buy it with assistance. There's never enough food for anything we want, but this is a must have. Store it under your bed... that's what we do :)

Kaylee said...

That is awesome! That's what we bought w/ our tax return two years ago. It's hard w/ hardly any storage space, but I feel like there's a reason the church keeps hammering the idea. As far as hair, yes, Remy fought me until a few months ago every single day. I wanted to get her used to it because if we don't do her hair she looks like a wild child!

Tara Winchester said...

Definitely send me her email! I always want to do food storage but never know how!

JoHanna Bennion said...

we have our years storage and a three month storage of the good stuff! we are working on a three month water storage right now and that is a tough thing to do. We have been working on it this whole year now and only have a month supply of water (and that is only for drinking and cooking!)

don't forget the water down the road! but the meal thing sounds like a painful process! good luck with that and don't give up! When John hurt his back, we had to live on ours for a while... now I just need a wheat grinder.

Jeannette & Brandt said...

My year supply includes water. Enough to make meals and drink and everything else. So don't worry I didn't forget about the water. She teaches you how to store enough for a year.