Pages

Tuesday, May 19

Baby Questions

To all of you mothers or mothers to be I need some advice! I made a list of everything that I need to pack for the hospital and I just wanted your advice on what you thought helped a lot and if I am missing anything.
  • Pillow for Brandt
  • carseat
  • a couple pairs of socks
  • shampoo and conditioner
  • take home outfit for baby and blanket
  • 1 outfit for me to wear home
  • face/bath stuff and makeup
  • camera/video camera and extra batteries(computer cord to download pics)
  • computer and cord
  • DVDs
Also, Brandt and I are debating on getting a bouncer or not. We already bought a swing but I am just wondering if we will need a bouncer. I am going to be going to school full time this coming Fall and I know I won't be able to hold her all the time and I will need something to put her in so is a swing good enough? We were wondering if instead of getting the bouncer we should just get a little play mat that she can play with on the floor?? And will I need a thermometer? And where do I find just plain white socks? We looked at walmart and target and all they had were the colored socks and I want just plain white ones so she can wear them with anything and I don't have to worry about matching. And what is the best advice you can give me on being a mom and the whole labor/delivery process?



12 comments:

Kaylee said...

Lots of questions=long response!!
First, for the hospital it looks like you have everything covered except a robe/comfy pajamas for you (I SO wish I would've had that) and some cozy socks.

Also, you'll be fine w/out a bouncer. Remy didn't even like hers, it was such a waste. Babies really like to be up next to your heart, since they heard it for 9 mos, so I loved using our "snugli" (the 'front backpack' thing) because I had my hands free but she was still being held. She'd fall asleep SO fast, I'd even put her in that and go walk on the treadmill.

As far as the birthing process, I was induced 3 days after my due date and had an epidural. I'm not sure if you are, but I'd HIGHLY recommend it. If you're not, totally cool, just know that you have nothing to prove. I loved being able to enjoy the whole day w/ Roger, it was really a bonding time. Plus I had them bring in a mirror (just ask, most hospitals have them) so I was able to watch the WHOLE birth! If I were in so much pain I would've missed out on that. You'll do great, don't worry too much, have Brandt give you a blessing and it'll ease all your fears.

Kaylee said...

Oh! The best socks are at Old Navy. They're usually like $2 but they are the best quality and they have EVERY color you can imagine!

deargoodness said...

So the things I loved that I had with me that you didn't mention were:
--a book to read--when I was walking around the hospital to hopefully dialate more before getting an epidural Nate was reading to me and it really distracted me from the pain
--cards and suduko puzzles--Nate and I played speed and did puzzles together when I couldn't sleep
--a sleep nursing bra--it is so comfortable and so much easier to use than a normal nursing bra while your getting used to the whole thing
--flip flops! take slippers or flip flops for walking around in for sure! something easy to take on/off

I wouldn't get a bouncer, James loved his swing and hated his bouncer--I agree with the snugli or baby sling-great idea. Also, the hospital gives you a thermometer and other odds and ends at first, so you don't need to worry about getting one right away.

And seriously, labor is so different for everybody. Just don't get too stressed out/worried about it. You'll have Brandt there with you to talk to you and help out, so you'll be fine. You'll do great! How exciting you're almost there!!!

angeliclenore said...

Yes, bring a carseat, clothes for baby & you, comfy socks are a great idea, makeup & deodorant, etc. I never did get a chance to shower in the hospital, so I never brought the shampoo and they do have pillow's for Brant (if he wants). With my first I brought everything and the kitchen sink, it was always in the way, and then we had to bring it home and a baby. So I was always aware of how much I brought for future babies. Bare minimum in my advise!

My kids never really used a swing, but Henry did love his bouncy/vibrate seat. They are only in them such a short time I would only get one! IMO you wouldn't need both.

And I agree, Old Navy socks are best! But I am surprised that you couldn't find white socks at Walmart, keep looking they'll show up!

And, YES, get a sleep nursing bra. Go to Motherhood Maternity and be measured for one. It helps alot for when your milk comes in.

Just two more musts! 1) Lansonal. It's in a purple tube and it works GREAT when you are first nursing. It's a MUST if you are nursing. 2) TUCKS!! My SIL told me to get some when I had Missi, and I could kiss her full on the mouth for that info. They should have some at the hospital, but get some for home too. ;)

You are going to be an awesome mom! You are so ready for everything. Have fun!

JoHanna Bennion said...

my advise is bare min too! I took too much with Breyla and just enough for anna. I didnt bother on the makeup end. Just enough to get clean.

I would suggest a towel too! It was good to have my own towel. i took soo many showers after I had Breyla!

The hospital will provide most of the little things the baby will need for the first week or two.

I think another reason I took too much with Breyla is cause I had her so fast and was in and then out but even with Anna, i was in too much pain to be reading or watching any tv. It was afterward that I needed some entertainment.

Every child is different. Anna, I think prefered her bouncer over her swing but we used both. Breyla doesn't use her bouncer but the swing often! If you want to try it out, you can borrow my bouncer. Its new. Anna used a different one and like I said, it doesn't work for Breyla, so she hasn't used it much. There is a picture of it on MyFamily.com

You will be fine. It comes natural to all women!

Kaylee said...

I'd love to get together! I have no idea where Lehi is but we should definitely meet up! 801-690-1932

Tim, Anna, and Abram Denney said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tim, Anna, and Abram Denney said...

I actually never packed a bag, oddly and I was in the hospital for 5 days. : ) Because we lived so close the hospital and my mom came if I wanted anything either Tim or my mom would go get it. Really the only thing you need is the car seat and an outfit for the baby. Everything else is just preference. I wore what I came in home because as soon as you get there they make you put on robe anyway. : ) You will have the opportunity to get all cleaned up before you go into your recovery room so definitely bring all your toiletries. I didn't bring my make up and I did not look to good for some of the pictures that were taken so definitely bring that.

I really just wanted to lay around and do nothing the whole time I was in the hospital because of the c-section so I don't know what it would be like after a VBAC. I didn't even want to get up to take a shower because it was too painful but the nurse convinced me that I should...and I did feel a lot better after.

Abram had a swing and a vibrator seat and at first he didn't really prefer one over the other. The vibrator seat was good for when I was taking a shower because he could be in the bathroom with me and the swing was good because he liked it for a long time. I would say I definitely got more use out of the swing. We had a play mat too but Abram didn't really like it so I don't know what to tell you there.

Really all that matters is that you have a car seat. : ) If you don't get an epidural I imagine you would want more things to make you comfortable. Once I had the epidural I was able to sleep and just relax so I didn't need all the extra stuff so I would say it depends on what you want to do for pain management.

I'm so excited for you! There is nothing like looking at and holding your baby for the first time. : ) It is definitely an amazing experience.

Unknown said...

I would take an extra blanket for Peyton. Our first one got knocked onto the floor and the wouldn't let us leave the hospital without one to put over baby's face to keep the wind out. Iwould make sure and have the carseat instruction manual, too. We keep it in the glove box now. Our nurse was required by law to make sure our car seat was properly installed and she wasn't familiar with our make/model so CM came home for the manual while we sat around and waited. The last thing everyone suggested was nubby's favorite snack/candy bar. Our dr said men are more likely to pass out from low blood sugar than from grossness.

I packed a ton of stuff to keep us busy and CM as glad because I was in labor for so long and then after the c-section we had to be there for three days. It would just depend to me on whether or not you want Brandt to run home for stuff or not. I packed one small bag for me. CM had a backpack and we had a diaperbag and the carseat in the car. It was never in the way though because we had a closet and just kept things put up.

Unknown said...

Just thought of something else - you might ask that friend of yours that works in labor and delivery - our hospital didn't have normal baby wipes. They had dry ones that you had to wet down that looked about as soft as those cheap paper towels and worked even worse at cleaning up that merconium(sp?). I sent hubby to the car for regular wipes after the first diaper change.

PS We like Huggies wipes best. The container works so much better at not drying out the wipes. They have coupons on their site, too. If that gets too expensive the Target brand ones are the best off brand ones we've tried.

Chelsey Hymas said...

Hey you! I read through ur blog other's comments and have a few suggestions. You will get a thermometer for Peyton from the hospital...and they work good. The hospital has wet wipes, and you get a package of them,along with diapers so I wouldnt worry about that. Socks are a good idea, or slippers. Flip flops work good too! A lot of moms bring a robe, and use it when they are up walking around, I don't know if it is necessary, especially since we have robes (just ask for one). I've seen some really nice robes ruined because women wore them walking around while in labor...and labor is not exactly clean. If you bring one to use on the postpartum unit that would be best, but I'd just ask for one if you are in labor. Snacks for Brandt!! I forgot to tell you that one before. It is mean to you for him to eat when you can't, but he needs to eat something.Plus, you will want snacks once you deliver.The hospital will gove you lanolin cream and tucks if you need them.. as well as dermoplast (numbing spray). You may need to get more for after you get home, but I wouldn't worry about it at the hospital. A nursing bra is a good idea for after you deliver. As far as the bouncer goes...Im not sure! I actually have a fold up bouncer from Sonja...she said it was amazing cuz it could go with her anywhere, when a swing couldn't. Anyways....those are my suggestions...let me know if you have any more questions about what the hospital will give you!

Katie and joe said...

bring as little as possible to the hospital! most of it just sits around.

books are good for a long labor... like mine. i slept most of it with the epidural, but my hubby read and we watched tv.

bring your own pillows! i left the hospital a little earlier than i probably should have, but i was just so uncomfortable. i made them give me about twice as many pillows and blankets as normal and they were all like cardboard. while it was nice to have everyone there helping and making food and cleaning at the hospital, i really hated just staying in bed. i hated the shower, and how cramped i felt in my room. i did not want to walk around with other people because i really was so sore. the doughnut pillow they gave me hurt too (its a little inflatable plastic pillow they give you to keep pressure off of 'down there' so it doesn't hurt.) some people stay in the hospital as long as possible but it was such a relief to get home into my bed.

and when you leave- take EVERYTHING that you can. dermaplast, tucks, diapers, wipes, pads, sponges, samples, anything they let you. the little rubber bulb syringe too- we keep it close for getting stuff out of the nose! and if you have a friend who works at the hospital, see if they can get some 'extras'. my cousin's wife's sister gave me a few extra packs of diapers- ssshhhhh don't tell anyone!

a set of comfy pjs is nice- a top with buttons down the front is great for easy access to nursing.

sleep nursing bra=great idea.

i have a really nice swing, and she liked it sometimes more than others. what she really loved was a play mat with toys hanging down. she didn't get into it for a couple months but when she figured it out she loved it.

you'll do great. i hope your labor goes way faster than mine did!